Sunday, October 11, 2009

A home for fleas, a hive for bees


I started growing my hair out the minute Eric proposed to me. Wellll, I guess technically it had been growing for some time prior to that as well. Nonethess, despite my deeply-rooted desires to be a short-haired girl, I've always wanted to be a long-haired bride.

A while back I was inspired by Katherine Heigl in 27 dresses and her traditional yet modern (hello, huge flower) up-do.

source

After picking out my dress at the designer, the internal debate over a fresh or faux hair flower began. I ended up finding a beauty at Michael's and after a little work, I think it'll be great for the big day.

Here's the breakdown.

First, I pulled the head off the super long stem. It all came off in one piece. Then, I carefully removed the little plastic holder on the base and took off about 6 or 7 petals. I didn't want the flower to be so big. There was a little bit of glue on the remaining petals but I picked it off.

I also took the stamen out of the center briefly and picked the yellowish felt applique that made it look pollinated... or something. Gross. Now the stamen just blended in with the petals.

Then I replaced the plastic holder and the under leaves. Finally, with a little super glue, I attached one of the leaves from further down on the stem.

My flower was pretty much complete. The only problem was the there wasn't anything substantial to actually put in my hair to hold it in place.

I poked a push pin through the small plastic "stem" (or what was left of it).

Next, I inserted a paper clip (however, I would recommend wire. I just don't have any on-hand).

After twisting the paper clip, I wrapped the base in brown floral tape and secured it with glue. Ta-da! I get to try it out at my first fitting in two weeks. Hope it stays in!